Build a 3 cubic meters garden pond in 7 days (nominal). Total duration 35 - 45 days (allow a few days / weeks for the concrete and mortar to mature while you recover your strength.
- 2.9 CM (760 gallons), overflow, automatic level control, drip, from borehole.
- Solar ready. 12V lights 20A power source / pump 50W, 60 L min - 1000 Gal hour, 4m head
- Water fall 1m above pond, sprinkler and glass window
- Home made 20L bucket solids filtration, cyclone with bottom drain.
- Aquaponics ready. Bath tub hydroponics flooding with cascade horizontal tubing expansion.
- Timer powering the motor, lights and a home made actuator valve for draining solids + tubing to flower beds.
- All around underground rain water drain pipes
Labor: 2 cents
Materials: R3610 ($280)
Tools: Pick, Shovel, Trowel, Brush, Paint Containers, Hammer, Hacksaw, Screwdrivers, Gloves
- Cement 7 bags 45 MPA R480 ($37)
- Stone 20-30 mm 0.25 CM R180 ($14)
- River sand: 0.3 CM and brickforce R180 ($14)
- Plaster sand 0.2 CM R180 ($14)
- Bricks 1200 units R1320 ($102)
- Waterproofing Coprox Sikalite etc 2Kg powder R190 ($9). 1 Kg used as additive for concrete, mortar and plaster and 1 Kg used to paint the inside wall, 2 layers.
- 10mm Toughened glass (2m x 0.9) Left over from a broken shower otherwise you pay R1100
- Granite slab. The top from a bathroom cabinet you pay R800
- Rocks. Drive around and collect from building sites. They'll gladly get rid of rocks and top soil.
- Lights. 10 x 3w angel eye lights R100 ($8). Don't pay $30 for 1 underwater light when you can buy 10 x LED AE for $8
- 10mm x 3m pvs or poly conduit for pipes R50 ($4)
- Wire LED lights 10m R25 ($2)
- Wire underground 4mm x 12m (left over). Connection from 12V power source or solar system to the pond
- 12V 1000 gallons pump (60 L / min). R300 ($23)
- 2 x 6m x 110 mm PVC drain pipe, drainage rain water around the pond and evacuation from pond overflow R300 ($23)
- 1 x 6m 50 mm PVC pipe R60 ($5). Pond water circulation.
- 1 x 1700mm x 400 mm acrylic bath tub. Trim off the top edge. (Left over)
- 2 x silicone marine tubes R120 ($10)
- PVC liner 5 SQM R180 ($14)
Day 1: Dig. This pond is 25% below ground and 75% above. Total height 1.2 m, volume 2.9 cubic meters (about 760 gallons). The concrete slab is 18 cm thick reinforced with 2mm brick force.
Day 2: Plumbing and concrete slab.
Day 3: Brick works, glass installation and lights
Day 4: Plaster internal, external walls
Day 5: Waterproof paint inside & outside, water fall earth works, liner, install bath tub
Day 6: 12V cables, electrical connections to pond
Day 7: Collect rocks and build the water fall, drop in some plants and test.
Day 8+: Run the pump and create a bio system